Thursday, May 14, 2009

School's out for summer...well actually only 3 weeks.

Another semester is over. I was fortunate enough to get a 99 in one class and a 96 in my other one. Woo hoo!!


This whole going back to school thing has certainly has its ups and downs. Life as a "non trad" as I'm called certainly differs from that of a recently graduated high school student for sure.

Not that I'm complaining. It's just a different life than I had originally expected for myself. Then again, isn't life vastly different in many ways than the one we picture back in the days of our ignorant youth?


Oddly enough, I am a far better student now than I was in my past life. Contrasting with my ventures in high school and early years of college, I care deeply about my school performance and see things now with a far greater clarity than I ever would have had I graduated college in 1993, as I "should have."


Do I have regrets? Sometimes. Don't we all? I'm starting to believe however, that things are working out exactly as they should have. When I started back to school last January (08), it seemed as if this would never work. I'm now slated to graduate this December. While it is only an Associates degree, progress is progress and I am proud to have made it this far. That bachelors doesn't seem as insurmountable as it once did. Besides, I am very excited at the prospect of holding a degree that has the word "ass" in it.





Last Friday I got to experience a major fringe benefit of being an adult non trad student. See exhibit A:




Yes. I got to have drinks at the Ritz Carlton in downtown Philly with my way fun professor. Yes, it is as nice as it looks. Yes, the drinks were very expensive. Yes, it was super fun and chic.

Yes, after 3 cosmopolitans, I am glad I took the train.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for you! It takes a lot of courage to go back to school.

Unknown said...

Wait! This wasn't the professor that was trying to hit on you was it? Oh, that's right...it was a fellow classmate. How did that turn out? Did he finally get the hint?

The Ritz Carlton...I wouldn't have a clue which fork to use or which knife to use. Did you have fun?

Beth said...

That is a super-cool professor!

BTW, I went back to school as a non-traditional student, too (and a single mom). And made all A's. Well, except in the damn Fishing class. It could not be helped that BOTH my boys got the chicken pox that semester. I missed ONE fishing assignment and got a damn B. Stupid fish who eat disgusting worms.

bernthis said...

several people have spoken about returning to school and I think it's incredible. I was in law school for 10 weeks and I'm sorry I left, very sorry

Christy said...

Good for you! You know I'm going to be in the same boat in a few short months...it IS hard, but you're doing great! And what an example to your kids--rock on, sista!

Powered By Blogger