Saturday, May 31, 2008
FYI - Sean actually thought it was his butt too, and spent much of the day in mental despair because he found it to be alarmingly small. He didn't mention it to me until I brought it up. I have traumatized him. Guess that falls under the "for better for worse" stuff we promised.
Friday, May 30, 2008
1. I am in fact listening to Wang Chung right now as I write this post. I defy anyone to make fun of me. Bring it on.
2. One of my favorite lines from Cheers was when Frasier announces: "everybody have fun tonight, everybody Wang Chung tonight".
3. I just drank a fabulous double shot cafe mocha, created by none other than moi.
4. New game - how many espresso drinks did I consume yesterday? Come on people, you know you want to win!
5. I liked the days where I was in charge of the camera on my cell phone:
6. Now the kids will frequently take control of the phone themselves. The result?
7. That butt looks very similar to a certain husband's butt. Said husband will remain nameless.
8. "Last Christmas" by Wham is now playing on my music mixer. That kind of pisses me off, to be honest.
9. Sean just came down and read this post and said "I'm Sean Kerr, and I approve the use of this butt".
10. Weirdest Google search of the week: www.themarriagebed.com
I got this link from a conservative website that said all Christian people who are married should read it regarding intimacy in their marriage. It is pretty funny. One of the better parts of the site highlights what is "ok" and what is not "ok" in the Christian bedroom. One example - apparently some Christian couples, even those whose kids are grown up and long gone, practice lactation. Yes, that is correct. Lactation. As in men who like to nurse. Enough said. In case you were wondering, this falls under the "ok" category. hahaha.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Ancient, Medival, or Modern?
Speech, Music (Music Appreciation), Communications (Mass Media w/ a lab), Philosophy?
Note: I am tempted to take the Speech one b/c I know it will be the one I'll be most familiar with having gone through a lot of formal speech training in my former life as a banker. That being said, in the interest of becoming more well rounded, I suppose looking at a different course of study would broaden my horizons a bit.
If you have any thoughts, they are most welcome!
Personally, I think I should be given an honorary degree based on the fact that lots of other people who don't deserve them get them.
Case in point: In 2001 George W. Bush received an honorary degree from Yale. Enough said.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Agenda for today:
5. Make food for family
6. Alissa's softball game.
8. violin practice
As you can see, I live a most exciting life here. What are you doing today?
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Friday, May 23, 2008
2. Behind Madeline, you will see Evan's tea party set up on the hearth. Every morning, Evan wakes up, comes downstairs, and sets up a real tea party for himself. He uses a silver tea set, puts cream in the pitcher, sugar in the sugar bowl and makes his own tea in the microwave. Currently, he is on a raspberry tea kick. He just informed me he is running out of tea and could I buy him more. Seriously.
3. So this morning, I'm thinking about John McCain. I was wondering whether or not people are worried about his past history with melanoma or not. I sign in online, and what news story do I see? There was a whole story about whether or not he is at risk for a recurrence of cancer. Weird. I certainly don't wish him any more cancer, but I really don't want him to be president.
4. Today is Speyer's birthday. He is 3. Happy birthday Speyer! Ebbie Debbie loves you!
5. I have many hours of work to do on my new class. (computer info systems)
6. I am so disinterested in this class it isn't even funny.
7. Went to Starbucks this week. I am again offering a free drink to the one who can guess how many days I went without going. If Jen guesses correctly, she will win a cookie. She is not a Starbucks fan.
8. Going on a roadtrip with Jen today. We're hitting King of Prussia Mall, and then going to have lunch with Lisa and Speyer. I am very excited because there is a Hello Kitty Store there. Jen is very excited because there is an Apple store. We made a deal that we would each put up with each other's stores.
9. New game - Jen and I are also going to a store which doesn't even resemble Hello Kitty or Apple. In fact, it couldn't be more different if it wanted to. I cannot reveal which store it is, but am putting it out there for guesses. Suffice it to say, it is a store which I would be more likely to go to. Think outside the box people! Winner gets an item from the mystery store.
10. Finally, my weirdest Google for the week...I am so embarassed, but in the interest of my pledge to share honestly with everyone, I will disclose that I actually searched Google images for pictures of maxi pad belts from the 1950's-60's. I have always been curious about what they looked like. Why, I don't know. So, they were really weird, and makes me thankful for the modern sciences of feminine products.
Happy Friday everyone! Let's see some vigorous commenting here! Remember, there are 2 games to play...
Thursday, May 22, 2008
This joke was sent to me by my friend Karen, who is a Lutheran pastor in New England. It made me laugh - hope it does the same for you!
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have...
Ralph and Edna were both patients in a mental hospital. One day while they were walking past the hospital swimming pool, Ralph suddenly jumped into the deep end. He sank to the bottom of the pool and stayed there. Edna promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled him out. When the Head Nurse Director became aware of Edna's heroic act she immediately ordered her to be discharged from the hospital, as she now considered her to be mentally stable. When she went to tell Edna the news she said, 'Edna, I have good news and bad news. The good news is you're being discharged, since you were able to rationally respond to a crisis by jumping in and saving the life of the person you love. I have concluded that your act displays sound mindedness . The bad news is Ralph hung himself in the bathroom with his bathrobe belt right after you saved him. I am so sorry, but he's dead.' Edna replied, 'He didn't hang himself, I put him there to dry. How soon can I go home?'
Brings a whole new meaning to "hanging someone out to dry".
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Now it is time for all of us to join Jen's cat, Chessie, in some personal grooming lessons. In this picture, Chessie is illustrating the importance of thoroughness when cleaning yourself.
Can't reach? Just strrreeeetttcccchhhh and you'll get it! Don't give up!
I wonder if they kissed and made up. Let's ask Jen!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
There is just so much that can be said about this commercial. My observations:
- I think the daughter is really putting her mom in a bad spot here. I mean, they're on a boat for goodness sake! What the heck is her mom supposed to do when they are in the middle of a lake when her daughter shares that kind of info with her? Now the mom is not only helpless, but
trapped! Basically, the mom has only a few choices:
a. Calmly, but quickly get that boat back to the dock, and get her daughter to a drugstore a.s.a.p.
b. Move over to the other side of the boat for the duration of the ride. Then get the daughter to the drugstore afterwards.
c. Push the daughter overboard. Maybe that will help her out a little, but I wouldn't say lake water would be much help to the daughter. It is probably loaded with germs.
In any case, whatever the choice, I'll bet that mom goes home and has a drink and possibly a sedative.
What a stupid commercial. Funny, but stupid.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Everything should be as great as the WetJet. I am seriously considering washing the kids with it. I love it so much, I might even take it out on a date. Given the fact that I cannot seem to convince Sean to go see the Sex and the City movie with me, it looks as if the WetJet and I will go. If so, I guarantee it will be a blog post.
The word for May 12 is ass is grass
An expression foretelling a person's doom or demise. Originated from the fact that a murdered person's body decomposes and then provides fertilizer for grass, hence the "ass" becoming grass.
I thought it was pretty funny. The one disclaimer I will make about Urban Dictionary is that some of the words and phrases they send can be offensive, as well as the sentences they write using the word they e-mail you. I specifically did not include the sentence that accompanied "ass is grass". So, if you decide to check them out, consider yourself warned. Many times however, the word is just funny.
Happy Monday. May we all survive it.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package refrigerated pizza dough (about 1 pound)
Flour for the work surface
1 16-ounce can refried beans
1-pint container fresh salsa
1 8-ounce package shredded Cheddar (we didn't actually use this much)
Sour cream (optional)
Heat oven to 400° F. Spread 1 teaspoon of the oil on a baking sheet. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each into an 8-inch round on a lightly floured surface. On half of each round, spread some of the beans, then top with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the salsa and 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Fold over the other half of each round, covering the filling, and press the curved edge with your thumb to seal. Lightly brush the tops of the empanadas with the remaining oil, then transfer to the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Serve with a dollop of so ur cream, if desired. Yield: Makes 6 servings
Recipe notes: Sean made these, and added frozen corn he had roasted in the oven until it was kind of brown. Just put it on a baking sheet or dish sprayed with Pam, and roast at 400 degrees until it is lightly brownish and smelling toasty. We also served them with guacamole, a non necessary but certainly delicious addition.
If you try them, let me know what you think! We loved them.
Friday, May 16, 2008
1. I am very glad to be posting Random Thoughts Friday on a Friday. It just feels right that way.
2. 3 year olds are very very cute.
3. Said 3 year olds are very very cute only when they don't belong to you.
4. I have actually wondered if telling everyone that my new nickname is Ebbie Debbie (bestowed on me by my nephew Speyer) was a bad idea. I just have a feeling some of you might take advantage of that knowledge.
5. What is your favorite Pop Tart flavor? Mine is chocolate with vanilla creme. They must be toasted so that the frosting burns a bit. Yum.
6. Favorite sugar cereal? Hands down - Cookie Crisp.
7. Guess how many days I made it before going to Starbucks? Whoever is closest gets a free espresso or other Starbucks drink on me!
8. I just had a flashback of my all time favorite Sesame Street song. Remember the 12 song? It went 1,2, 3, 4,5 6, 7,8, 9, 11, 12! It had a retro seventies pinball machine motif that accompanied the song. Remember it?
9. I am so tired of staining my shirts. I swear it happens every day. Stuff falls on me all of the time. You would think as a grownup this wouldn't happen anymore.
10. I Google the weirdest stuff all of the time. The weirdest thing I Googled this week was a bio of Candace Cameron from full house. Why? I can't remember. I think I'll post each week on my weirdest Google request. Feel free to share yours.
Happy Friday all! As always, comments are encouraged and welcome.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Let the games begin. He had so many curls, they had to pin some on top of his head to start cutting. It looks like he is getting an updo for a wedding or something. He was very amused.
mid-haircut - no tears! He was sooo good.
Here is Speyer with Donna and Sarah. Donna did the haircut. He said he wanted the "pretty girls" in the picture with him. Quite the little ladies man. Incidentally, Donna has been cutting my hair since I was 8 years old! She doesn't look old enough for that, does she?
2 lollipops and one Dollar Store trip later (for the toy I promised), we were on our way. As we left, Speyer called out "bye bye pretty girls!" He already knows how to talk to the ladies.
Oh, yes, and I have an envelope filled with long blond curls to give to Lisa. By the way, after I washed his hair tonight in the bath, he is now sporting some really cute short blond curls. So, Lisa can relax. She was worried about him losing them.
Time for me to have a third? Naah. I would rather be good old Ebbie Debbie!
Monday, May 12, 2008
Final grades got posted tonight...I got an A!
Enough said. I swear that I won't talk about grades in the future, but I just had to bring this up given the fact that I hadn't taken a college course in 7 years. I was very worried my brain had left the building, so to speak. I do realize how annoying I am being.
Tomorrow - on to bigger and better posts! Or, at least a new post.
oh yes, before you read on, I feel that I should let you all know that my kids have been banned from Debland a long time ago. I didn't have the freedom of expression I wanted when I knew they would read it. It is now password protected in our house. :) Didn't want you thinking they read/saw all of this.
1. The Curvy Girl vs. Old Navy debacle - So I go on Old Navy, and while their clothes aren't trashy or anything, check out what they've decided to call their latest ad campaign...
It's called "Short Circuit". Are they trying to mock me? How do they know my current brain status as of, oh, the past 10 mos or so? Why can't they call it "No, you're not a crazy person", or "We'll help you look somewhat non-mom like?" Even something like "Put these on and pretend that everyone thinks you look cool?" No. They had to choose "Short Circuit." A reminder, that not only are you probably a harried mom/student/violin virtuoso (ok, that is taking it a bit far), but that you also function like one. Great.
I so want to write ads. I tried last fall, but Dodge and "The View" just didn't see my veiled brilliance. When, oh when, will I be discovered?
2. School- my big project got graded- I actually got a 96% on it! How can I describe how I feel - , shocked, elated, relieved, dubious? Many emotions and thoughts did transpire. Got a 90% on my final, and I am waiting for my overall grade to be posted tonight...I'll keep you posted. (no pun intended)
3. Mother's Day dinner with Sean's family...I immediately ordered a Cosmo upon my arrival, which helped lighten the potential for conflict. Actually Sean's brother was most gracious (and careful) when he spoke to me. Sean's mom kept trying to eavesdrop on my conversation with Sean's sister Kirsten. No biggie, but I found myself amused by it. They ordered some weird appetizers...grilled kangaroo, and fried alligator. The alligator I get, but who would want to eat a kangaroo? I declined politely. Maybe it's all of these years I've spent reading about Pooh and his friends to the kids...
4. Finally, for now, I want to leave you with the song I was listening to while writing most of this post. This is a totally absurd song from the '80's written and sung by Eddie Murphy. It is called "Boogie in Your Butt." I found the unofficial video that was made for it. I don't recall an actual video ever being released with the song. Anyhow, I think the song is hilarious (not surprising to many of you). So, I thought I would give you a laugh on this rainy, windy Monday morning.
Maybe I should go ahead and order some "Short Circuit" clothing. Might be fitting given my admiration of this song and video.
Saturday, May 10, 2008
5. I like this picture of Jenna Bush better.
6. Do you think Jenna Bush is into chicks, or just drunk in the above picture? Both?
7. I'm glad to be getting more comments on the blog. I would like more comments though.
8. I have to go out with Sean's family tonight. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, as I have to face Sean's brother, who I in a matter of speaking, told off via e-mail this week because of some racist comments he made in an e-mail to the whole family.
9. I'm not sorry for speaking my mind about his remarks. I'm only sorry it will be awkward tonight.
10. At the age of 36, I find it highly annoying that I am for some reason getting a lot of acne recently.
11. I seriously can't believe I'm 36. Really. My mind doesn't feel that old. (not shocking to many of you, I'm sure)
12. Yesterday I told my therapist I would do a lot more talking if he served margaritas.
13. Boy, I could go for a margarita right now.
14. I think I'll wait to have a cocktail tonight when we are out with the inlaws.
15. Happy Mother's Day to all of my mom friends!
Friday, May 9, 2008
The best part about Chessie is her exhibitionist tendencies. She especially loves to "let it all hang out" frequently when grooming. Here is an example:
Apparently you didn't look long enough, because now Chessie is putting on her evil stare and thinking..."you know you want to see this". Try not to get hypnotized by the glowing eyes.
Chessie doing her best Austin Powers imitation - "Do I make you horny baby?" Despite, ahem...appearances, no, Jen's house is not freezing cold.
Chessie also thinks she is the alpha dog. She frequently tortures poor Millie, Jen's sweet little dog. Look at the evil eye she is giving Millie, and note Millie's obvious distress.
I'm hoping that Chessie can make some regular appearances here in Debland. While I find her to be kind of disturbing, she is also fascinating.
Thursday, May 8, 2008
"They are so lucky I'm don't help on school projects like this."
I have now corrected my grammar faux pas. This is what happens when you are waking up at 4:30 EVERY MORNING FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so tired. My class ends tomorrow. I'm taking my final tomorrow morning. Wish me luck. Thank goodness it is only multiple choice, not essay. I should probably go study, right?
Fine. I'll go study.
Stay tuned for my next blog post on a seriously scary looking cat. Freaky.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
I was impressed. My idea was to turn a plastic bottle into a piggy bank. Not so much fun.
Evan got in on the fun and decided to make a candy machine too. His is a little more rudimentary, and also strangely looks like something he could take people down with...but, it works. His kindergarten class loved it. He also had gotten into the hair gel prior to taking this picture.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Now I'm no fashionista whatsoever, but today was just a particularly bad outfit day. So, I decided to come home and look for some websites that might sell clothes with a non mom bent. Boy, did I find one! I just couldn't resist posting about this. Somehow, I don't know how, Google led me to this website.
Their slogan is, and I kid you not is "Because it shouldn't cost a lot to look this cheap." Here is the proof...
Ok, after seeing their main page, I had to look at some of these clothes. I think I found a few things that will work for me to wear, especially when going to or volunteering at elementary school functions. Let me know what you think.
Need help for the spring fundraising carnival? No problem. Just remember, it gets hot when you work outside, so make sure to wear something light with adequate venilation...
Career Day? You know, when you go in and talk to the kids about different careers? Lawyer, doctor, musician, humanitarian? I think it's time we help these kids think outside the box a little bit, especially the girls. Just because you live in Oreland doesn't mean you can't have a very successful career in prostitution! Right?
PTA meeting on how we can help our kids embrace economic diversity within different geographical areas? This "ghetto fabulous" shirt will be perfect!
Let's say your 1st grade class is reading and doing a book report on "Heidi". This outfit would be a great choice when coming in to read as a guest reader to the class. Then they really could get a sense of the Heidi/St. Pauli girl garb of that era.
Finally, when it is time for a parent/teacher conference, it is important that you balance looking dressed up with casual elegance. You don't want the teacher to think you're trying to out-dress them or something. Just throw this on and off you go!
I think I'll go check out Old Navy to see what they have for the spring...
Monday, May 5, 2008
Happy Cinco de Mayo. Hope you have better luck than we did. Time for a real margarita, si?
Sunday, May 4, 2008
So I'm driving the other day, and what do I hear on XM radio 80's channel? Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina". I can't believe that song/video was made in 1989! That also was the year I gradulated high school. Anyhow, the premise of this song was that if a guy wanted to score with a girl, he could give her this drink called a Funky Cold Medina. I never thought the drink was real, I figured it was just a fictitious name for a cocktail. So what did I do? I googled it. Lo and behold, there is actually a recipe for a Funky Cold Medina. Here it is...
Funky Cold Medina
1 oz. Curacao, blue
1 oz. Southern Comfort
1 oz. Vodka
Fill with Cranberry Juice
Glass to Use
Mason Jar Mixing Instructions
Pour everything into a jar with ice.
Now the directions say that you should pour it into a jar. Personally, I wouldn't consider drinking out of a jar to be particularly enticing. Maybe a cosmo glass, or something like that. That being said, I don't honestly believe a Funky Cold Medina is really going to do it for most of the ladies I know. At this juncture, most of the girls I know would much rather experience watching their significant other do some mundane household task, such as vaccuming, folding laundry, helping brush the kids' teeth, and things of this nature. That and a glass of wine will work out just fine. By the way, there is a definition for what I am describing. It is actually called "choreplay". Don't believe me? Just go to www.urbandictionary.com and look it up.
My other thought about this whole thing is that if I made a Funky Cold Medina, I doubt it would smoke like the one in the video, and I don't particularly want to drink something with dry ice in it.
I'm not really sure of the point of this whole post, but I must say I have thoroughly amused myself. I think I'll go make myself a little drink. Nothing too exciting, perhaps I'll put a slice of lemon in some ice water. I live a very exciting life.
Who else liked Tone Loc back in the day?