- A piano for Evan when he started lessons
- A beautiful Ethan Allen dining room table
However, we paid for these items. These items were actually a good deal, and very nice quality.
The free stuff on Craig's list, however, isn't always (or shall i say never) as alluring. This week was an especially good week for complete garbage. Here is a sampling of some lovely items listed for free:
1. A really ugly circa 1980 rocking chair. Not just any rocking chair, but one with a rotted out torn up wicker seat. Wow your friends at your next dinner party, first with your horrible taste in seating, but also with the extra surprise of their butt breaking through the seat when they sit down on it.
2. This guy has been really persistent. He has posted this thing several times this week, begging people not to pass it up. In one of the later posts, he admits it has some stains on it, but he goes on to say, "but hey, it's free"!
3. Dirt. Last time I checked, I could get dirt from, believe it or not, my backyard! Don't dig up your own dirt, come dig up this guy's dirt! Free dirt. Wow.
4. A grounding strip that looks like it hasn't met code since the 1960's. Look at the plug on that thing! Meanwhile, you have to drive 30 minutes to pick it up. I think I would pass and just go to the hardware store to buy a safe one.
5. A "great" couch. (The lister's words) What makes it even more hilarious is that they actually disclosed that the couch is, yes, used. I would never have suspected it.
6. A "very clean" queen mattress. I don't feel the need to elaborate here.
7. An old hi-fi stereo system. I had to copy the description the owner gives it:
"Needs repair as a strong buzz plays together with music when it is hooked up to speakers"
So what? It will work fine as long as you don't actually want to hear anything on it. Ipod's have nothing on this thing.
8. A bunch of cheap plastic hangers. Not nice hangers, but the cheap ones they use in stores. That is worth it, I'm sure.
So, my question to you is, if you HAD to get one of these items, which would it be? I think I would have to go for the hangers, first because it seems like they actually WORK, and also because they're not completely DISGUSTING AND POINTLESS to give away.