So, needless to say, I moved on from this fundamentalist crap as soon as it was legally possible. (like the day after I turned 18) I am grateful to say that I am raising my family, oh, about 180 degrees from that perspective. We belong to a church that is inclusive, non judgemental, and believe it or not - not insane!
From time to time I stumble upon things that take me right back to those joyous days. One website I find particularly funny is http://www.evangelicalright.com/
This website satirically captures all of the indoctrination we all endured for a LONG time. Imagine my surprise when I saw this post on the website.
Pastor Roger Byrd: Quite Possibly the Dumbest Man Alive
Pastor Roger Byrd of Jonesville Church of God put the sign up which reads "Obama Osama humm are they brothers?" Pastor Byrd says the sign is not meant to be racial or political but rather to make people think. "His name is so close to Osama I have a feeling he might be Islamic therefore he doesn't recognize Christ," Pastor Byrd said. Jonesville Church of God does not have any African American members.
Observations from Deb:
1. Yes, my maiden name was Jones, but as far as I know, my parents had nothing to do with this.
2. Yes, there are people out there who think like this. Trust me. No, I'm serious. Stay tuned on the blog for more posts regarding my religious upbringing. It's pretty funny.
3. My parents will be sooooo glad to know that today, on primary day in Pennsylvania, I am NOT voting for Obama.
4. I'm voting for Hillary Clinton. A woman. A liberal, in charge, non-subservient woman.
5. Oh, and if Hillary doesn't win the nomination, in November I will vote for....drumroll..................OBAMA.
Either way, I don't think I would be in Jonesville's good graces. Thank God.