Sunday, July 13, 2008

Deb and swimming class, Vol 1

So, as promised, I will share my tales from the first swim exercise class:

First, I should say that the pool was warm, clean, and very relaxing. The people there were really all nice, and most were surgery veterans as I am. The only difference is that they were old with surgical scars, I am pre-old with surgical scars. Kylee was the only non surgical person there, as far as I could tell.

The funniest part about the class was the wacky noodles. I assume you all know what a wacky noodle is, but just in case, I will describe: a wacky noodle is about a 4 ft long tubular bendable floating device. I did find an amusing picture of wacky noodles here:


By the way, NOBODY in the class looked like these folks, and no guys were carrying chicks around.

When you enter into the pool, you must take a wacky noodle, and put it between your legs so one end looks like it is coming out of your backside, and the front end, well, I suppose you can guess what that looks like. The wacky noodle keeps you afloat, and therefore non weightbearing. The funniest part is during warm up. You just paddle and kick your way around chatting with folks. I found it very hard to act natural talking to people while I had these giant protrusions sticking out of each end. It was especially funny when the (old) guys would come up and start talking to you, all whilst occasionally "adjusting" their wacky noodle in front of them. As it would happen, I would try to catch Kylee's eye to try to make her laugh. Luckily, she was able to resist my silliness.

One guy was particularly interested in chatting with us. He asked us many questions about how we had met, etc. Once he found out that we had known each other for so long, and married college room mates, etc, he made some odd comment to the effect of "Wow, I bet you two have a wild history. Bet you could write a book!" While what he said was right on, it was just a little creepy to be talking to a guy we didn't know, especially a guy sitting on a giant green wacky noodle.

Before the final observation, I will be the first one to say that me in a bathing suit is not cool. It should probably be illegal. Unfortunately, the other participants in the class had to experience this unpleasantness.

But, I cannot resist...final observation- does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where Kramer wants to invent the "bro", or the "man-ssie're"? Well, they would have had some qualified candidates in this class!

Sadly, I have to report to Megan, http://meganhallpass.blogspot.com/, that no Speedos were encountered this week in class. Sorry Megan! :)

The end of the class was the best. Kylee and I logged in a little hot tub time, and noted that the hot tub contains drink holders. I have considered the merits of bringing wine in coffee travel mugs to enjoy in the hot tub afterwards. Will keep pondering this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surgical scars? Are you okay?

Megan said...

I'm sure glad there weren't any Speedo-wearing this time! For if you think that your giggling was stifled during regular male noodle adjustments, it would not have been sufficiently stifled in the presence of a Speedo. LOL! :)

Deb said...

Hey Dave,

Just read down a couple of posts before that one. I had pretty extensive foot surgery last Aug. Thanks for your concern!

Powered By Blogger